The recommended dose of ipratropium nasal spray for runny nose due to allergies is 2 sprays (0.03% strength) in each nostril 2 or 3 times per day.
The recommended dose for runny nose due to the common cold is 2 sprays (0.06% strength) in each nostril 3 or 4 times per day as needed. This medication has only been studied for up to 4 days of use for the common cold. Efficacy and safety of treatment beyond 4 days have not been established.
Many things can affect the dose of a medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are using the medication without consulting your doctor.
Before using this medication for the first time, the pump must be primed. To do this, remove the cap and safety clip. Then, hold the bottle with your thumb at the base and your index and middle fingers on the shoulder area of the pump. Point the bottle upright and away from your eyes. Press your thumb firmly and quickly against the bottle 7 times. You will need to reprime the pump with 1 or 2 sprays if you have not used it for 24 hours.
To use this medication:
- Blow your nose gently to clear your nostrils if needed.
- Remove the cap and safety clip.
- Close one nostril by gently placing your finger against the side of your nose, tilt your head slightly forward, and keeping the bottle the upright, insert the nasal tip into the other nostril. Point the tip toward the back and outer side of the nose.
- Press firmly and quickly upwards with the thumb at the base while holding the shoulder portion of the pump between your index and middle fingers. Following each spray, sniff deeply and breathe out through your mouth.
- After spraying the nostril and removing the pump, tilt your head backwards for a few seconds to let the spray spread over the back of the nose.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 in the other nostril.
- Replace the cap and safety clip.
It is important to use this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, use it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not double a dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature, protect it from excessive heat and freezing, and keep it out of the reach of children.
This medication is available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. Any specific brand name of this medication may not be available in all of the forms listed here. The forms available for the specific brand you have searched are listed under "What form(s) does this medication come in?"
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.