The recommended dose of fondaparinux depends on the reason the medication is being used. The dose is injected subcutaneously or SC (under the skin), once daily. Sometimes, in a hospital setting, fondaparinux is given intravenously (into the vein).
To prevent clots after surgery, the dose is 2.5 mg injected once daily starting at least 6 hours after surgery.
When treating DVT or PE, the dose depends on body weight and ranges from 5 mg to 10 mg injected SC once daily.
For the management of heart attacks or severe angina, the dose is 2.5 mg SC once daily.
In all cases, it is important to continue using fondaparinux until your doctor has determined that the risk of blood clots has passed. This may be because you are mobile again after surgery or because another medication has been introduced to continue the clot prevention.
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
If you are injecting this medication yourself, your doctor will show you how to use this medication properly. If you are not sure how to use it or have questions about how to use it, contact your doctor. Before using this medication, thoroughly read the patient information provided and ask your doctor if you have any questions. If a caregiver will be giving you the injections, your doctor should instruct them on how to give the injection.
To use this medication:
- Wash your hands and clean the injection site with an alcohol swab. Do not rub the injection site. Do not use it if the syringe is leaky, or if the medication appears cloudy or discoloured.
- Remove the needle shield. Avoid pressing on the syringe plunger so as not to lose any of the syringe content. Hold the syringe like a pencil.
- Pinch a fold of skin in the lower (left or right) region of your abdomen. Choose a different injection site for each injection so that you are not always injecting the same area.
- While holding the skin fold, insert the entire needle into the skin fold at a 90° angle to the skin and depress the syringe plunger completely.
- Remove the needle and let go of the syringe plunger. (The syringe will move into the device until the needle is guarded.)
- Apply pressure to the injection site with the alcohol swab for 5 to 10 seconds. Do not rub the injection site.
- Safely dispose of the used syringe device in approved containers, and keep it out of the reach of children.
It is important to take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature and keep out of reach of children.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.