The recommended dose for mild-to-moderate infections for adults and children over 2 months of age is to instill 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye every 3 hours (maximum of 6 doses daily) for a period of 7 to 10 days, or as directed by doctor.
For more severe infections, your doctor may instruct you to use 1 or 2 drops in the affected eye(s) every hour until improvement occurs. The dose will then be reduced to 1 or 2 drops every 3 hours. Refer to the package insert and ask your doctor or pharmacist about the proper administration of eye drops.
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are
using the medication without consulting your doctor.
The following procedure is recommended when using the eye drops:
- Wash your hands.
- Shake the bottle of eye drops to ensure the liquid is evenly distributed.
- Tilt your head back and gently pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to make a pouch under the eye.
- Drop the medicine into this space and then let go of the eyelid and gently close your eyes.
- Do not blink.
- Keep your eyes closed and apply gentle pressure to the inner corner of your eye with your finger for 1 or 2 minutes to prevent excessive absorption into the body.
- Wash your hands to remove any of the drops that may have got on them.
- Do not touch the dropper or the applicator tip to any surface (including the eye).
Use this medication for the total time period recommended by your doctor, even if you start to feel better. This will reduce the chance of the infection returning and being harder to treat.
It is important to use this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, use it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not instill a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature (15°C to 25°C) and, protect it from light. Keep it out of the reach of children.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.