The recommended dose of prednisolone acetate eye drops varies depending on the condition being treated. You can use them as often as every hour until your condition improves. Your doctor will be able to provide you with more specific instructions on how often to instill the drops.
Many things can affect the dose of medication that a person needs, such as body weight, other medical conditions, and other medications. If your doctor has recommended a dose different from the ones listed here, do not change the way that you are taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
To use eye drops properly:
- Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
- Shake the container well before use to ensure the medication is evenly mixed throughout the bottle.
- Remove the cap and place it in a clean location. To avoid possible contamination, keep the tip of the container away from contact with any surface.
- Tilt your head back and look towards the ceiling.
- With your index finger, gently pull your lower eyelid down and away from your eye to form a pouch.
- Apply one drop into the pouch but do not allow the tip of the container to touch your eye or areas around your eye.
- Gently apply pressure to the inner corner of your eye (at the bridge of the nose) for about 30 seconds. (This is called nasolacrimal occlusion.) This prevents the medication from dripping down through the tear duct and entering the bloodstream, which could cause you to experience some side effects.
- Repeat with your other eye, if prescribed by your physician.
- Wash your hands again to remove any medication.
If you are using more than one topical eye medication (eye drops or ointment), wait at least 5 minutes before putting another medication in your eye.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist to show you the correct method of applying eye drops. It is very important to avoid touching the dropper tip to any surface, skin, or your eye. This contamination can result in a bacterial infection. Report any signs of an eye infection (e.g., redness, irritation, pain) to your doctor immediately.
It is important to use this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor. If you miss a dose, instill it as soon as possible and continue with your regular schedule. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not instil a double dose to make up for a missed one. If you are not sure what to do after missing a dose, contact your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Store this medication at room temperature, protect it from light and moisture and keep it out of the reach of children.
Safely discard any medication remaining in the dropper bottle after you have used the medication for the full length of time recommended by your doctor. Discard any remaining medication 28 days after opening the bottle.
Do not dispose of medications in wastewater (e.g. down the sink or in the toilet) or in household garbage. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medications that are no longer needed or have expired.