Many medications can cause side effects. A side effect is an unwanted response to a medication when it is taken in normal doses. Side effects can be mild or severe, temporary or permanent.
The side effects listed below are not experienced by everyone who takes this medication. If you are concerned about side effects, discuss the risks and benefits of this medication with your doctor.
The following side effects have been reported by at least 1% of people using this medication. Many of these side effects can be managed, and some may go away on their own over time.
Contact your doctor if you experience these side effects and they are severe or bothersome. Your pharmacist may be able to advise you on managing side effects.
- abdominal pain or cramping
- bloating or swelling of ankles or feet
- blood pressure increase (mild)
- breast pain or tenderness
- brown spots on exposed skin, possibly long-lasting
- headache (mild)
- hot flashes
- loss or gain of body, facial, or scalp hair
- loss of sexual desire
- mood changes
- swelling of face, ankles, or feet
- trouble sleeping
- unusual or rapid weight gain
Although most of the side effects listed below don't happen very often, they could lead to serious problems if you do not seek medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur:
- skin rash
- symptoms of blood sugar problems (dry mouth, frequent urination, loss of appetite, or unusual thirst)
- unexpected changes in vaginal bleeding such as:
- heavier vaginal bleeding between regular monthly periods
- increased amounts of menstrual bleeding occurring at regular monthly periods
- lighter vaginal bleeding between menstrual periods
- stopping of menstrual periods
- unexpected or increased flow of breast milk
Stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of the following occur:
- headache or migraine
- loss of or change in speech, coordination, or vision (including double vision)
- numbness of or pain in chest, arm, or leg
- unexplained shortness of breath
Some people may experience side effects other than those listed. Check with your doctor if you notice any symptom that worries you while you are taking this medication.